Sunday, April 09, 2006

BANANA CREME PIE

It all started when Jamie, my daughter, called me and told me about the classes that Rachel Talley teaches each month in her kitchen. Rachel showed them how to make this delicious banana cream pie. You know it's gotta be healthy! Well - it's Sunday and I wanted to have a fun dessert after dinner tonight - so I tried my hand at it too. (So this is Rachel's recipe)

CRUST
1 1/2 c fine almond flour (I used mini coffee grinder)
1 cup dates (soaked) (food processor)
2 TBSP lemon juice.
Mix them all in the food processor and dumped in pie dish.

Spread it by hand and get it up to the edges.

Banana Creme Filling:
9 bananas
1 1/4 c coconut oil
1 cup cashews (soaked and drained)
Blend in the blender until smooth. It will look like
pancake batter. (Cut up a 1/2 banana and add to the
batter and maybe a little bit of maple syrup (Judy's idea)
Pour batter into the crust.
Let it sit in the refrigerator for at least 3 hours to set.

Look at how much banana filling I had left over! So I had to make another one! Darn. :)

This crust was different because I ran out of the other stuff.
CRUST - (now this is my recipe)
1 1/2 c soaked almonds put in the food processor.
1 cup dates (soaked real fast in hot water)
no lemon juice - ran out of lemons.
It is way more chunky than the almond flour one.
I bet it will work anyway.


I patted it down with my hands. The dates make
it so pliable and nice.


The finished products!
Two healthy - homemade banana creme pies with extra crumbs on top!
I think I'll take one to Kellie's (my niece) birthday party today!

She'll get the first one...the one with the best crust!

So here is Kellie Keith - my niece.
We are BOTH loving this pie!

We both felt a little goofy at this time -
afterall, it's her 26th birthday!

Kellie is engaged and moving to North Carolina
at the end of May. It was fun sharing a piece
of healthy pie with her! HAPPY BIRTHDAY KELLIE!

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy birthday to Kellie.

And why did no one tell me she's engaged????

xoxo
J

9:13 PM

 
Blogger jamie said...

Mmm.... this is a highly recommended recipe! I give it a rave review - and so does Ryan.

P.S. Did you know if you type the word "MAW" into wikipedia you get the following:

Maw may refer to:

The word "maw", an old word derived from the Anglo-Saxon "maga" to mean "stomach", but now often assumed to mean "big mouth".
Scottish slang for "mother".
A fish's gas bladder (swim bladder).
In the Star Wars Expanded Universe:
The Maw, a cluster of black holes.
The Dark Jedi Maw.
Masters At Work, an American house music producing duo, also known as MAW.
Nicholas Maw, a British composer.
The acronym MAW, which stands for "Model, Actress, Whatever".
A card game similar to the national card game of Ireland Twenty-Five.


Just thought that was pretty amusing. *grin*

9:18 PM

 
Blogger TheTalley said...

The pie looks DELICIOUS!! I hope you liked it. I think it is so good and SOOOO easy. It's one of those quick dishes that everyone seems to like and you can take everywhere. Thank so much for the little blurp!! You are just too darn cute. I think the defintion that Jamie posted describes you EXACTLY! Lovin' ya ALWAYS! Rach

11:30 PM

 
Blogger Judy Cozza Photography said...

Jana - I just found out last night that Kellie was engaged and moving. We all learned it the same day.
Jamie - I loved the MAW - "Stomach" and "Big Mouth" definitions the best. Oh yeah - the "Model Actress Whatever" too!
Rachel - you are really the QUEEN OF RAW. Thanks for all you do for ME!

4:23 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Judy,

Here's an apple crisp recipe you might want to try (I made it today). It's from "The Raw Food Gourmet" by Gabrielle Chavez

6-8 apples
Juice of 2 lemons
1/2 cup raw honey or agave nectar
sprinkle of unrefined salt
3 cups raw walnuts (I used pecans)
1 Tbsp pumpkin pie spice
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla

Core and cut apples into small, thin slices with a food processor slicing blade or a knife. Place in a glass or ceramic dish that fits in your dehydrator. Mix lemon juice, half the honey, and salt and then stir into apple slices. Combine nuts, remaining honey, vanilla, and spices in a food processor fitted with an "S" blade and pulse until mixed and chopped but not blended. Spread over the apples and dehydrate for 8-12 hours until apples are soft and topping is crisp. Delicious!

Sheri

3:56 PM

 
Blogger jamie said...

Just a little FYI:

I tried to make this banana creme pie last night but it didn't work because my blender could not handle the banana mixture. I recommend only making this recipe if you have a Vita-Mix. (I saved the ingredients and hope to take them to a friend's house today to finish it off.)

6:08 AM

 
Blogger Judy Cozza Photography said...

Thanks for that tip, Jamie! Does Rachel have any equipment at her house anymore? I know that Gina borrowed her Champion Juicer too! That Rachel has a heart of gold. Love that girl.

6:26 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home