Tuesday, April 25, 2006

What's to EAT on our trip?

This particular blog spot is about going to my kid's college graduation at BYU. Our daughter, Jodie, is graduating - along with three of our son-in-laws. All five of our daughters graduated from BYU and their husbands have graduated, are graduating or look forward to graduating. After tomorrow's graduation ceremony we'll have a total of 9 graduated and 1 still attending BYU. And in the fall our oldest boy will be a freshman there. Incredible - isn't it?!

Well, Jim and I are going to help celebrate with them. I wanted to pack us some fun things to snack on and have some great food to eat on the way. You would think that our whole family of 10 were going. I made all this for only 2 people? (These pictures don't show what I already
packed in the ice chest!) Okay - maybe I'll leave some for the boys.


GRANOLA
I really looked at many granola recipes but ended up just putting in what I liked. So - this is original at best. There are a lot of recipes on the internet if you don't like the idea of this one. As you can see - we are snacking on it even before finished being dehydrated!

This recipe makes 5 trays.
10 c whole raw oats
2 cups of chopped almonds (soaked before I chopped them)
2 cups of ground flax seeds
3 cups unsweetened dry coconut
4 cups raisins
1 cup date pieces
3 cups of strawberries chopped in the food processor.
spices - cinnamon, apple pie spice, nutmeg, salt

I mixed this all up and added like 3 cups raw orange honey.
I mixed it with my hands and put about 3 cups on each tray.
I smashed it all together so it would clump when it dries.
It tastes better than an oatmeal cookie but you can see why.
Sweet!


This next recipe came from the book "The Complete Book of Raw Recipes" p. 197 They called it Italian Rawsage - they seem to think it resembles sausage in a way. GREEN SAUSAGE??? How wierd.

I would rather call it "GREEN PATTIES" and be done with it. So just let me. (I gave credit where credit was due)

"GREEN PATTIES" that don't taste like sausage at all.
1 c pumpkin seeds
1/2 head of romaine lettuce
1/2 c olive oil
5 cloves garlic
1/2 c onion powder
1 Tbsp dried sage
1/2 bunch of fresh basil

Put everything in the food processor and it turns into a very soft kind of dough. Spoon it on the TeFlex sheets - (makes 9 patties) and dehydrate it overnight and then some.

I could be wierd at this point in our "raw journey" because we think these green things are DELICIOUS. This is actually the second time I made them and we ate them too fast for me to take a picture last time. I used them as a snack - like a grab and go kind of snack. You can use them for a dinner - like a meat pattie but frankly - I have a hard time eating green meat.I have already told you about the toona sandwiches we loved - so we are taking it all made up to make that on the road. Also - we wanted to have "pnut butter" sandwiches in case we were more hungry - so I made that too. EXCEPT - it's really almonds and pumpkin seeds ground up in the Champion Juicer to make the almond/pumpkin butter. To simplify - I call it "pnut butter" around here. I add a little honey to it and it's D'LICIOUS.

I also made our famous Chinese Cabbage (which has become my favorite in the world), and the Lentil Salad (without the lentils this time) to take in case we get lost in the desert and need nourishment to get help (just kidding - I always pack way too much food on trips to Utah).

So see you next month - like May 2nd or so. Try your best to stay focused on eating raw until I return!

I forgot to show you the recipe books I am planning to read on this 12 hour driving trip. I should have some great things to try when I return. Ta ta.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just wanted to say THANKS for taking the time to detail your recipes and provide pictures. I'm new to this type of living, so your site is wonderfully helpful!

11:11 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, their all graduating from the same school! have fun with your family!

Love your "biggest fan"..lol ~ Jen

7:13 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, I came across your blog from a link on rawfoodtalk! Wow all of the raw food you've made looks amazing!! I found out about the frozen fruit soft serve ice cream a few years ago using our greenpower juicer.. it's amazing isn't it!!! :)

5:16 PM

 
Blogger Judy Cozza Photography said...

Thanks Kindra, Mindi, Jen and Amanda.
Each day is exciting and the more I read the more I learn. I feel so alive and happy. Thanks again.

6:23 AM

 
Blogger Judy Cozza Photography said...

Mindi, I just noticed that I forgot to tell you that we are lds. Jim is the Bishop in our Ward. Fun stuff going on over on this side of town! Happy eating!

9:01 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home