Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Sprouted Grains and Seeds


This was a new adventure for me. I wanted to desperately make some fresh sprouted bread - like Ezekiel does - but I wanted it to be cooked in the dehydrator so it would really be raw. I soaked wheat, quinoa, lentils, sunflower seeds and buckwheat.



Here is a close up of them with their little tails!



I put a few together in the Champion Juicer to make a perfect dough. I added only a little sea salt. I then made very small rolls that were even kinda flat. I dehydrated them but they didn't work. Only the edges were cooked enough to eat and the inside stayed too doughy. If I would have dehydrated them any longer - I would have ended up with spoiled goo.

So I decided that before I ruined all the sprouted grains and seeds - I would dehydrate them into a quick and nutritious snack. I have to say that to pop these in your mouth was incredibly tasty. I didn't season them or even put salt on them but you could. Gina grounded some of it into flour to make "bread" too - but nope....we haven't mastered the technique yet. Just thought you could learn one of our lessons! Posted by Picasa

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

When you say "spoiled goo", I imagine you mean that it ferments? Well, I know a solution for that. I found this somewhere on the rawguru.com website, but I don't remember where. Hope it helps! -Juliet
"Cousen states: Recent research by The Excalibur Dehydrator Company suggests that it is actually better to begin the dehydration process at 145 degrees for the initial stage of the drying process. The reason is that as the food is dehydrating, it literally "sweats out" the moisture it contains. This moisture inside the dehydrator reduces the food temperature as much as 20-25 degrees. This information changes how we think about the entire process of food dehydration. It means that the safest way to dehydrate is to begin drying at 145 degrees F for a maximum of 3 hours for foods with a high water content. After this the temperature is set in the "normal" range of 110-115 degress through the completion of the drying process. By doing this we are inhibiting bacterial growth by reducing the time the food spends in the dehydrator. The longer that a food is in the dehydrator, the more potential exists for the enzymes to be destroyed, even at lower temperatures."

2:44 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just wanted to drop you a note on how I make my "bread". After they are formed into a small loaf, I cut them into slices about 1/4" thick and dry them. I also use grated apple or some soaked raisins for more flavor. It works great that way and no spoilage.

7:12 PM

 
Blogger TheTalley said...

What the first woman stated about drying at higher temps is right on. I have yet to make sprouted bread turn out and I have tried over a dozen times. One person told me she put holes in the bottom of the loaf to make it dehydrate on the inside. Good luck. It's always nice when our mistakes taste good. Love ya!

9:57 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have made Alissa Cohen's Rye Bagels and they turned out great! The inside was moist not gooey and the outside like crust on bread. At one time I did not have a big food processor so the crust was a little crunchy! But it turned out so good! and I had to dehydrate for 16-24 hours. Breads can take a long time to dehydrate depending on the thickness and type of grain used.

3:23 AM

 
Blogger Raw Jewelrylady said...

Love your blog..When I make any breads-I just pour small squares-as they dehydrate much faster. Also-I have been starting my dehydrator at the higher temp as previously mentioned. Keep up the great blog.

7:15 PM

 
Blogger Judy Cozza Photography said...

Thanks to every one of you who have helped me so much in this area. I can't wait to try all your ideas. Thanks so much!

8:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for such a wonderful blog! I really appreciate the photos and the time it takes to do that. It makes a huge difference, like you are taking readers along on your journey because we can see what you're talking about. Thanks again and keep going! With blessings for good health, long life and lots of joy.

11:47 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home