Thursday, November 23, 2006

Happy Thanksgiving!

Today is Thanksgiving. We have so much to be thankful for - FAMILIES and FRIENDS are on top of my list. REAL FOOD (as my grandkids like to call it) is high on the list too. Here I am teaching my grandkids how to make REAL apple juice and a REAL pumpkin pie! Every time I go in the kitchen - Will wants to see what I am doing and always wants to help.

He thinks that making apple juice is easy!

He is a pro at cutting up the apples and using my Champion Juicer. I didn't know it could be so easy for a 5 yr old!

Rachel is 10 and she is always eager to help too!

Then there is Matt. At 3 years old - he likes to be cute, funny and right in the middle of the action. Today is no different!
Now it's time to make a RAW PUMPKIN PIE! Will is now making the pie crust. This is 2 c. almonds and 1 c. walnuts or pecans with 1 c. unsweetened shredded coconut. Put them all in the Vita Mix and whirl until it is ground fine and turns into a dough like pie crust. You don't have to add any water or anything to this.


See - it just pats out just like a regular pie crust - only easier!

Now for the yummy part. I soaked 20 dates overnight. I peeled and cut up 2 large sweet potatoes and put the drained dates and the cut up sweet potatoes in the vita mix. I used about 3 tsp pumpkin pie spice and a little agave nectar. It actually pureed the sweet potatoes and it seems all cooked! It even surprised me!I forgot to take a picture of this next step. I soaked 2 c of cashews in water overnight and drained them. I put the cashews in my VitaMix with some agave nectar, vanilla and some of the soaked date water. This whirled to be creamy and smooth. I then mixed THIS cashew mixture with the pureed sweet potato mixture. This is what we got! TWO DELICIOUS raw pies. I dehydrated it for about 6 hours and put it in the refrigerator.
Now it's time for PIE!

This was the best pie ever! Thank you Rachel Talley for the recipe and the explanation. I would have never attempted this but she promised me that I would L O V E it.
She was right......again!

2 Comments:

Blogger Anne said...

These pies look amazing! I was just wondering this morning how to make a raw pumpkin pie that was not too dense. Great idea and happy thanksgiving =).

12:30 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow Judy!

Your grandkids are so lucky to have you, and you're so lucky to have them.

It's really beautiful to see your happy and healthy faces. You look fantastic!

See you on PathOfHealth,
Annie

3:14 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home